”There are optical illusions in time as well as space”. Marcel Proust This series of 18 pieces are constructions and annotations made by the artist on the pages of his notebook (13 x 10.5 cm) between December, 15th, 2010 and May, 10th, 2011, the month that name the exhibition at Galeria Luisa Strina, São Paulo, 2011.
Just as the inputs and outputs of a diary, some of these notes become evident: “There is no intermediate phase of the project between idea and thing. The idea immediately becomes the object. ”
1. Epígrafe, 2011. Pencil on paper, 23 x 14 cm Introduction text for the exhibition.
Mr. Reader sorry about my calligraphy 2. Calendario, 2011 Series of 12 drawings. Ink and collage on paper 15 x 21 cm each Reviewing the books of the artist Sol Lewitt. Drawing on time.
Exhibition in May. 1st of May, Labour’s Day.
3. Helecho, 2011 Cutted paper, plastic bags, air 35 x 42 x 35 cm (dimensions variable) A brake grows from a crack on the studio’s wall. I like the morphology of the leaves. How much longer it will survive there. Sample of native forest.
4. Puerta, 2011 Wood and paper 203 x 83 x 80 cm Make a whole room by paper, window, door, walls, tiles. A three-dimensional design. Join this page on another scale. The materiality is better perceived on the large objects.
We live in the middle of everything, between our atoms and the stars.
5. Curvas Paralelas, 2011 Wood and ink on paper 95 x 16 x 20 cm second version of the burnt match, the initial version was titled: Star from the South. I like the shape of this object. The only thing that worries me in the future are my back.
6. Composición modular #1, 2011 Wood, paint, paper 300 x 154 x 154 cm Temporal structure, modular. The process of doing produces positive and negative traits, traces. Ideal painting.
7. Tabla, 2011 Wooden blade 92 x 30 x 3 cm Soulless material. Unfilled cake. Drawing: The skin of the void.
8. Gotera, 2011 Acetate, water, plastic bucket 21 cm height, 34 cm diameter Waves, waves, waves, waves, Echo, echo, echo.
Ellipse, suspension points.
9. Manzana, 2011 Wood, paper, ink, apple seeds and cable 68 x 33 x 31 cm The act of crop produces positive and negative. The rusty apple.
10. Planta para espacio expositivo, 2011 Cutted paper, watercolor on paper, plastic 97 x 40 x 40 cm Dry environment 11. Mensaje en botella, 2011 Paper and ink 83 x 60 x 13 cm … That headline that says: When the desire looks like nothing.
12. Factura, 2011 Ink on paper 16.5 x 11.5 cm The true palace made by paper, now I am not sure if I really exist.
13. Columna, 2011 Wood and gouache on paper 86 x 115 x 61 cm Notes from Rio de Janeiro.
14. Almohada, 2011 Lithography, paper Variable dimensions Reviewing the illustrations for the poetry book – Guide for trippers – Dario Jaramillo Agudelo, I found this drawing of a feather. I felt asleep on the book.
15. Diário, 2011 Wood, vinyl paint, ink 86 x 115 x 61 cm Work in process. Make a drawing for years… the lessons of On Kawara.
I wonder – …how long does it take to make each drawing? And then I reply – Well, the years that I have till nowadays: 32.
16. Reloj Chino, 2011 Paper and ink 97 x 30 x 40 cm Because the Doppler effect, the sound is coming and is stopped at once.
Every morning is the same.
The shelf has no screws.
We realize the time, the cause of simultaneity between mobile and static.
17. Dibujo de un gancho, 2011 Paper 23.5 x 42 x 16 cm … Anyway, form and structure: clip, elastic, 8, infinite, spring and circle 18. Paisaje, 2011 Found image, wooden frame 37.5 x 28.5 x 4 cm Image for calendar. Wind, water, termite.
See the big time sculptor, Marguerite Yourcenar.
Sunrise to Sunset M.L.
May, 10th, 2011, São Paulo – Brazil Galeria Luisa Strina Rua Padre João Manuel, 755 – loja 02, Cerqueira César 01411-001 São Paulo/SP, Brasil T 55 11 3088 2471 F 55 11 3064 6391 firstname.lastname@example.org Monday to Friday, from 10am to 7pm Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.